Thank you for your interest in the University of Chicago! The Center for Global Health (CGH) offers elective rotations for a limited number of students from partner institutions and students from non-partner institutions with sponsorship of University of Chicago faculty.
International Visiting Student Elective Period
Electives are offered December through May of each academic year. International visiting medical students are limited to one 30-day elective, generally starting on the first day of the month (excluding weekends). Students desiring a clerkship experience June through November of the year will be required to have a faculty sponsor. For more information to come during this time please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The applicant must currently be enrolled in her/his final year of a 4-year medical school, or beyond the 5th year of a 6- or 7-year medical education program.
The applicant must have completed all core clinical rotations (Internal Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, Ob/Gyn, Psychiatry, Family Medicine).
The applicant must be highly recommended by her/his home institution and have an excellent academic record as demonstrated by her/his transcript.
For the purposes of this medical school elective, a B-1 visa is acceptable. Students from Visa Waiver Program countries may travel under ESTA authorization. Pritzker School of Medicine and the Center for Global Health do not process visa paperwork for international students. Students are required to obtain entry on their own.
Required Application MaterialsAll application materials are submitted online and must be submitted together. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Part One - Due 16-weeks before proposed start date
1. Pritzker/CGH Visiting medical student Application Form
2. Curriculum vitae (CV) in English
3. Letter from dean at home institution that states the student:
· Is currently enrolled and is in good academic standing
· Has permission to leave (state proposed time frame)
· Will return to home institution upon completion of elective
4. Official transcript from home institution in English and/or any other official documentation from Registrar's office that shows proof of all core rotations completed by the student
5. Proof of personal health insurance in English
6. TOEFL score
The TOEFL is required for applicants consistent with the University of Chicago English Language Requirements with a minimum score of 104 overall, with 4 sub-scores of 26 each.
7. Student Health Form and Proof of Immunizations for the following:
· Measles, Mumps, Rubella
· Hepatitis B
· Proof of immunity through blood titre or vaccination to Varicella
· Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis (Tdap)
· Tuberculosis screening from last 12 months
If visiting student arrives without all proper immunizations, she/he is responsible for paying for immunizations upon arrival, which may incur a large expense and delay the start of the elective.
PLEASE NOTE: After uploading all required application documents on this site please send the vaccination materials to the Education Coordinator Yolanda Hill at email@example.com.
Part Two - Due 30 days before proposed start date
1. Copy of information page of passport
2. Copy of Visa information page
3. Proof of Malpractice insurance ($1M/instance, $3M/aggregate)
Dates for orientation are listed below. It is mandatory that all Visiting Medical Students arrange travel and lodging to attend orientation on the dates referenced. Failure to attend orientation automatically forfeits the opportunity to participate in the clerkship rotation.
Please allow 4-6 weeks for applications to be reviewed.
|Clerkship Month||Application Due||Clerkship Orientation (required)|
|December 3-31, 2018||August 1, 2018||December 3, 2018|
|January 2-31, 2019||September 1, 2018||January 2, 2019|
|February 1-28, 2019||October 1, 2018||February 1, 2019|
|March 4-29, 2019||November 1, 2018||March 4, 2019|
|April 1-30, 2019||December 1, 2018||April 1, 2019|
|May 1-31, 2019||January 2, 2019||May 1, 2019|