Thank you for your interest in the University of Chicago! The Center for Global Health (CGH) offers elective rotations for a limited number of students from partner institutions and students from non-partner institutions with sponsorship of University of Chicago faculty.
*Notice: The 2018-2019 application cycle will open on July 1, 2018. No applications will be accepted until this time.
Types of Applicants
1. Partner Institution Applicants – Student applicants must be enrolled in a CGH partner institution in order to secure a faculty sponsor at the University of Chicago. The faculty sponsor will be responsible for guiding and monitoring the advanced training of the student. Students must apply through their home institution office, which selects qualified students through a competitive process.
2. Non-partner Institution Applicants - Student applicants who are not currently enrolled in a CGH partner institution will only be accepted if they have an existing professional relationship with a UChicago faculty person who agrees to be their sponsor. The faculty sponsor should contact CGH directly to confirm sponsorship. Please note: UChicago faculty will not accept "cold call" requests for sponsorship, nor does CGH assist in securing faculty sponsorship for students from non-partner institutions. Students should not apply for this elective opportunity unless they already have a UChicago faculty sponsor.
International Visiting Student Elective Period
Electives are offered December through May of each academic year. International visiting medical students are limited to one 30-day elective, generally starting on the first day of the month (excluding weekends).
The applicant must be from a partner institution or have a University of Chicago faculty sponsor.
The applicant must currently be enrolled in her/his final year of a 4-year medical school, or beyond the 5th year of a 6- or 7-year medical education program.
The applicant must have completed all core clinical rotations (Internal Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, Ob/Gyn, Psychiatry, Family Medicine).
The applicant must be highly recommended by her/his home institution and have an excellent academic record as demonstrated by her/his transcript.
For the purposes of this medical school elective, a B-1 visa is acceptable. Students from Visa Waiver Program countries may travel under ESTA authorization. Pritzker School of Medicine and the Center for Global Health do not process visa paperwork for international students. Students are required to obtain entry on their own.
Required Application MaterialsAll application materials are submitted online and must be submitted together. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Part One - Due 16-weeks before proposed start date
1. Pritzker/CGH Visiting medical student Application Form
2. Curriculum vitae (CV) in English
3. Letter from dean at home institution that states the student:
· Is currently enrolled and is in good academic standing
· Has permission to leave (state proposed time frame)
· Will return to home institution upon completion of elective
4. Official transcript from home institution in English and/or any other official documentation from Registrar's office that shows proof of all core rotations completed by the student
5. If from a non-partner institution, letter from UChicago faculty sponsor that states:
· Name of visiting medical student
· Pritzker elective course number (Faculty should sponsor students in their own service)
· Proposed start and end dates of training
· Description of goals
Part Two - Due within 30-days of elective approval
1. Copy of passport and visa
2. Proof of personal health insurance in English
3. TOEFL score
The TOEFL is required for applicants consistent with the University of Chicago English Language Requirements with a minimum score of 104 overall, with 4 sub-scores of 26 each. Applicants from the British Commonwealth are exempt from the TOEFL requirement. Please check the above link to see any additional exceptions or waivers.
4. Student Health Form and Proof of Immunizations for the following:
· Measles, Mumps, Rubella
· Hepatitis B
· Proof of immunity through blood titre or vaccination to Varicella
· Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis (Tdap)
· Tuberculosis screening from last 12 months
If visiting student arrives without all proper immunizations, she/he is responsible for paying for immunizations upon arrival, which may incur a large expense and delay the start of the elective.
Please allow 4-6 weeks for applications to be reviewed.
|Clerkship Month||Application Due|
|December 1-29, 2017||August 1, 2017|
|January 2-31, 2018||September 1, 2017|
|February 1-28, 2018||October 1, 2017|
|March 1-30, 2018||November 1, 2017|
|April 2-30, 2018||December 1, 2017|
|May 1-31, 2018||January 2, 2018|
We offer a web-based application in hopes that it will prove to be easy and convenient for you. We are only accepting electronic applications for this program. Do not send paper copies of any application materials.
All international visiting medical students applying for a clinical elective will be required to pay an online application fee of $175. This fee can be paid by credit card only and is due at the time the application is submitted. Once you have completed your application using our online portal, you will be prompted to pay the fee. The fee is non-refundable.