- Visiting Professionals must hold a valid medical license in another state or country and may also be a scientist, researcher or other licensed individual.
- Visiting Professionals must visit for 5 business days or less.
- Visiting Professionals must have a faculty sponsor at the University of Chicago who agrees to oversee the period of visitation and who will be responsible for guiding and monitoring the training of the individual.
- Application for Visiting Professionals must be submitted to the UChicago hosting department at least 30 days in advance of target start date.
APPLICATION AND APPROVAL PROCESS
- The credentials of persons who will come to the Medical Center as a Visiting Professional will be obtained by the hosting clinical departments. These credentials may include copies of licenses, evidence of degrees, resumes and recommendations. The department will take the following actions:
- Make the appropriate arrangements to enable the Visiting Professional to observe and teach without engaging in any direct patient care.
- Provide the Visiting Professional with an appropriate orientation to the Medical Center.
- Advise Visiting Professionals of the limitations for a person who does not hold an Illinois medical license and/or persons who does not have clinical privileges at the Medical Center.
- The department will assure that the Visiting Professional has signed the Application to Observe Medical Care form, Assumption of Risk form, Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Agreement form and the HIPAA attestation form is to be forwarded to the Office of Medical Center Compliance (OMCC) Education Office (Room S-08). All other documentation for a Visiting Professional will be maintained in the Departmental Office.
SUMMARY OF APPLICATION MATERIALS
1. Credentials may include copies of licenses, evidence of degrees, resumes and recommendations (as requested by hosting department)
2. Application to Observe Medical Care form
3. Assumption of Risk form
4. Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Agreement form
5. HIPAA attestation form