Thank you for your interest in the University of Chicago! The Center for Global Health (CGH) offers elective rotations for a limited number of students from partner institutions and students from non-partner site with sponsorship of University of Chicago faculty.
*Notice: The 2017-2018 application cycle will open on July 1, 2017. No applications will be accepted until this time.
Types of Applicants
1. Partner Institutions – Student applicants must be enrolled in a CGH partner institution in order to secure a faculty sponsor at the University of Chicago who will be responsible for guiding and monitoring the advance training of the individual. Students must apply through his/her home institution office, which selects qualified students through a competitive process.
2. Non-partner Institution Applicants - Student applicants who are not enrolled in a CGH partner institution will only be accepted if they have an existing relationship with a UChicago faculty sponsor. The sponsor must contact CGH directly to confirm sponsorship via email - communication does not occur with the individual applicant. Applications from non-partner institution applicants are only considered complete when application forms and sponsorship letters are signed and submitted by the UChicago faculty sponsor to CGH. Please note: CGH staff cannot assist in securing faculty sponsorship for students from non-partner institutions.
International Visiting Student Elective Period – Electives are offered December through May of each academic year. International visiting medical students are limited to one 30-day elective, generally starting on the first day of the month (excluding weekends).
The applicant must be from a partner institution or have a University of Chicago faculty sponsor.
The applicant must currently be enrolled in his/her final year of a 4-year medical school, or beyond the 5th year of a 6 or 7-year medical education program.
The applicant must have completed all core clinical rotations (internal medicine, surgery, pediatrics, ob/gyn, psychiatry, family medicine).
The applicant must be highly recommended (rated "outstanding") by his/her home institution and have an excellent academic record as demonstrated by his/her transcript.
For the purposes of this medical school elective, a B-1 visa is acceptable. Students from Visa Waiver Program countries may travel under ESTA authorization. Pritzker School of Medicine and the Center for Global Health do not process visa paperwork for international students. Students are required to obtain entry on their own.
Required Application Materials
Due on date of application
1. Pritzker/CGH Visiting medical student Application Form
2. Curriculum vitae (CV) in English
3. Letter from dean at home institution that states the student:· Is currently enrolled and is in good academic standing · Has permission to leave (state proposed time frame) · Will return to home institution upon completion of project
4. Official transcript from home institution in English
5. If from a non-partner institution, letter from faculty sponsor that states:· Name of visiting medical student · Pritzker elective course number (Faculty should sponsor students in their own service) · Proposed start and end dates of training · Description of goals
Due within 30 days after elective approval
1. Copy of passport and visa
2. Proof of personal health insurance in English
3. TOEFL score
· The TOEFL is required for applicants consistent with the University of Chicago English Language Requirements with a minimum score of 104 overall, with 4 sub-scores of 26 each. Please check the language requirements to see any exceptions or waivers to the requirement.
4. Student Health Form and Proof of Immunizations through blood titre Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Hep B; Proof of immunity through blood titre or vaccination to varicella; up-to-date tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine, and Tuberculosis screening
· If visiting student arrives without all proper immunizations, they are responsible for paying for immunizations upon arrival, which may incur a large expense and delay the start of the elective.
|Clerkship Month||Application Due|
|December 1-29, 2017||August 1, 2017|
|January 2-31, 2018||September 1, 2017|
|February 1-28, 2018||October 1, 2017|
|March 1-30, 2018||November 1, 2017|
|April 2-30, 2018||December 1, 2017|
|May 1-31, 2018||January 2, 2018|
How to Apply
We offer a web-based application in hopes that it will prove to be easy and convenient for you. We are only accepting electronic applications for this program.
Once you have completed your application and are ready to submit it, you will be prompted to complete the on-line application fee process (credit cards only). There is an application fee of $175 for international medical students applying for Clinical Electives. Elective enrollment fees are due at the time of application.