• Clinical Observer must hold a medical license in his/her home country or may be a scientist, researcher or another licensed individual.
• Clinical Observer must have a faculty sponsor at the University of Chicago who agrees to oversee the period of visitation and who will be responsible for guiding and monitoring the training of the individual.
• Clinical Observer must have the sponsorship of an academic institution, or agency, or foreign government and have adequate evidence of financial support and evidence of current health insurance.
• The faculty sponsor must present programmatic justification for the visit.
• Clinical Observer may visit for any period of time between 5 days - 6 months.
• Application for Clinical Observer must be submitted by the hosting department to the departmental Academic Affairs coordinator at least 16 weeks in advance of target start date.
• Clinical Observer will undergo a required health screening.
• If seeking observation for more than 30 days, the hosting department will arrange for additional training with the Office of Medical Center Compliance prior to to the applicant beginning.
Application and Approval Process
1. Clinical Observer must identify a faculty sponsor at the University of Chicago who agrees to oversee the period of visitation and will be responsible for guiding and monitoring the individual.
2. It is the responsibility of the faculty sponsor hosting the Clinical Observer to obtain all required documentation for the application (check list provided below) and submit completed application to the department hosting the visitor.
3. Academic affairs departmental coordinator submits application to the Office of Academic Affairs (OAA).
4. OAA works with Office of International Affairs to issue a J visa for the visitor.
5. Upon approval, OAA contacts the host department and sponsoring faculty member who is then responsible for coordinating logistics of the visit. Department will arrange for the Clinical Observer to complete a health screening.
6. OAA will also notify CGH of approval and share copies of the application.
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Copy of medical license in English
4. Letter from chair of department at home institution that states the Clinical Observer:
Has permission to leave (state proposed time frame)
Will return to home institution upon completion of project
Has language proficiency in English
5. Two letters of recommendation
6. Letter from faculty sponsor to departmental chair that states:
Name of Clinical Observer candidate
Proposed start and end dates of training
Description of training/mentoring commitment and terms for evaluation
7. 5-point letter (if visitor had a medical degree)
8. Proof of funding support (if funding source is home institution, then this can be stated in letter from chair)
9. Proof of personal health insurance in English
10. Proof of HIPAA compliance (can be completed upon arrival in US)
For more information, please review the UCMC Clinical Observer Policy.